This seventh book in the series Postcards from Exeter contains over fifty images of churches and chapels. It includes districts that were once places outside Exeter that are now incorporated within the city boundaries, such as Alphington, Exwick, Pinhoe, Heavitree, Countess Wear and Topsham.
The book records ancient places of worship long vanished for various reasons: destroyed by enemy action in WWII, demolished due to neglect or rebuilding schemes, or have been converted into different uses.
Some old postcards may bring nostalgic memories to older Exonians – St. Lawrence.
CHURCHES OF EXETER
Front cover: Bedford Chapel, Bedford Circus, was erected in 1832 at a cost of £4,000 and destroyed by fire in the Exeter Blitz on May 4th, 1942. The painting is entitled ‘Bedford Circus after the Blitz’ by A. C. Bown at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum. High Street, the St. Kerrian’s church tower, North Street, St. John’s in Fore Street and the Methodist churches at The Mint and Mount Pleasant.
Researching family history has become a popular hobby and postcards of buildings where ancestors were baptised, married or buried can give an added dimension when compiling a family tree.